A new set of PPC benchmarks reveals which industries are currently performing well, which ones are hardest hit, and which ones have seen mixed results during the COVID-19 pandemic.
WordStream typically releases its Google Ads benchmarks report on an annual basis. Due the unprecedented times we’re living in, WordStream just released its second report this year alone.
WordSteam’s updated Google Ads benchmarks during COVID-19 contains data across 21 industries and is current up to May 2020
Marketers can use this data to compare how their ads are performing against the industry average. From there, marketers can start thinking about what (if any) changes need to be made to their campaigns.
Industries With Increased Ad Performance
Some businesses are seeing a surge in demand during the pandemic, which has lead to stronger advertising performance.
The 8 industries with the greatest ad performance increases during COVID-19 are:
- Apparel: Performance first spiked in April and carried that momentum into May.
- Beauty & Personal Care: Conversion rates spiked in April. In May, as these local services began to re-open, shopping campaigns saw lower conversion rates but a surge in online bookings.
- Hobbies & Leisure: Advertisers saw a stable performance the past few months with people having more time to spend on indoor hobbies.
- Arts & Entertainment: These advertisers saw challenges early in April. As these attractions reopened ad performance rebounded.
- Computers & Electronics: Consumers reportedly spent more on big-ticket electronics as stimulus checks were mailed out in April and May. This led to an increase in ad performance.