Podcasts have gone mainstream. As of March 2020, 37 percent of Americans over the age of 12 — around 104 million people — listen to at least one podcast per month according to Edison Research. But podcasts are often poorly optimized for search engines.
Drive more organic search traffic to your podcast with these 10 tips.
10 SEO Tips for Podcasts
1. Obsess over the message, not the equipment. The value of a podcast’s content is paramount. Absent value, it doesn’t matter if the recording is on a $1,000 microphone. Spend time honing the content. Everything else is secondary.
2. Host episodes on your site. Link authority is one of the most important aspects of search engine optimization. Other sites will link to where the podcast is hosted. You need that to be your site, rather than on podcast directories, such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play.
Your podcast can live in a directory on your ecommerce domain, where each episode has its own page. The basic anatomy of a page should include:
- An audio (or video) file;
- An image;
- Show notes — i.e., a timestamped table of contents to help listeners find highlights;
- A transcript, potentially edited for length and clarity.
3. Nail the name. It’s tempting to come up with a clever name for your podcast. But the name is critical for organic search. Many more listeners will search for the podcast’s topic than its name.